Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Book Review: Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard #1) - James Patterson

Title:  Witch & Wizard (Witch & Wizard #1)
Author:  James Patterson
Genre:  Young Adult
Little, Brown and Company; December 2009
314 Pages, Paperback

Date Finished:  4.20.11
Why I Read It:  I had ordered this from Scholastic with classroom reading points.  I decided to read it first before suggesting it to my students. 
Rating:  3/5

Synopsis (From Barnes & Noble):

         EVERYTHING. CHANGES. NOW.
Imagine you wake up and the world around you-life as you know it-has changed in an instant. That's what has happened to Whit Allgood and his sister, Whisty. They went to sleep as normal teenagers, and woke up as wanted criminals. Accused of holding incredible powers they'd never dreamed possible. And now, just how different they are-special, even-if just beginning to be revealed in a strange new world.
It begins...now.
My Thoughts:  Harry Potter meets Hunger Games.  That is how I introduced the book to my students this morning anyway (only not quite as good).  All it would have needed was vampires, and it would have had elements of the most popular young adult series of the last few years.  I guess there is a sequel I haven't read though so maybe vampires aren't that far off.  As an adult reading the book, I felt like the characters were dull and the plot was thin.  I was also very annoyed by the short, mini chapters.  Each chapter was only 2-3 pages long.   Now with that said, I think that Patterson might be on to something here with the short chapters.  Even my best students have pretty short attention spans.  Here is my verdict....Adults - skip it...teenagers - maybe, but the book falls short of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games.   

No comments:

Post a Comment